This question has been posed to me with great enthusiasm, and it is a question I have been answering and talking about a lot.
The full question that leads to a long conversations is “Shannon, what are you going to do when Adam starts school in September? You’re going to have a lot of free time.”
My number one answer is always SCRAPBOOK!
In all fairness I am going to have free time and I am going to be super selfish about it for at least a month, maybe two. For the past 3 1/2 years I have pretty much dedicated my time to Adam, Brian and the house. Then after a full day of being a stay at home Mom, I turn around and put my employee hat on and go to work for a bit, and I work a lot on the weekends.
There are many activities that fill my day, yet it’s not often that they have time carved out for myself – with the exception of sleep.
With Brian’s blessing I’m just going to keep working evenings and weekends for a bit while Adam starts school. This way during my days I can possibly take on an additional class on top of the two I usually take or do the list of following things I plan on being selfish about –
- Scrapbook, I see a window that I may actually be able to catch up on my scrapbooks. A day in the basement with Netflix running and the paper flying sounds amazing.
- Sit on the patio and read a book. It’s been a long time since I did this, granted the 3 feet of snow is preventing me from doing this most of the winter. I took a book to Florida and read a whole 3 pages. I got comfy on the balcony, took a sip of coffee and before I knew it Adam was on my lap to watch the ocean. Don’t get me wrong. I love that moment and the cuddles watching the waves but heck, reading is fun too.
- Use the toilet without having my bodily noises giggled at and then announced to everyone in the house.
- Take a long nap in the middle of the day.
- Watch some movies.
- Play some video games.
- Sit at the table and drink a hot coffee.
There are probably a million other things I plan on doing for me, but that give you an idea. Adam is having a very unusual nap and the quiet of the house is a nice break. I am sure I will get tired of the quietness eventually, but the thought of some quite time is exciting and saddening at the same time.
My boy is growing up and spreading his wings. The little boy I put so much time an energy into getting this far will be passed onto another person to continue to learn and grow.
This time will also give me time to figure out what I am really going to do. There are several ways to go as I continue and finish my education. Eventually I will be leaving my current job after 10 years and I have to figure out what will work best for the family.
Will I work from home so I can be here for Adam before and after school, as well as on those breaks and summer vacation? Do I work for someone else – then I have to figure out what to do on those breaks and summer vacation. Do I do a combination of the above so I still have the flexibility that my family needs. A scary thought is stay at my job for even longer, but I am looking forward to change as well.
Really there is a lot I have to figure out and when it comes to my jobs and career I’m not sure what I am going to do or what direction to take. I’m not concerned about not knowing or even making a decision about it anytime soon.
In the meantime I will continue to answer with the one thing I know I am going to do –